Sold Out - $19.99
Limited to 500 hand-numbered copies.Produced by Exile. Inspired by The Artist Formerly Known As Prince. I woke up April 21st to the news of Prince's passing. Before I could fully digest the news I receive numerous text from friends about his passing and how I should honor his passing with making music with Prince samples, in honor. I thought to myself I'm not going to do that, I'm not going to try ride Prince's legacy to gain fame. As time passed, drinks were sipped and again I'm asked the question "how are you going to respond, musically to his passing?" I went home faded, turned on the stereo and started banging Prince. As I'm listening I'm realizing all the emotion of mine that is stored in his music. I'm realizing how much of his music my mom would play loudly in the house. My mothers face happy as she would dance in the house. I mean she would be busting! Dancing like she's in the club! She was good too! I began to cry and think about my own life, my mothers passing and princes passing as a symbol of this wonderful journey. A sign of the times of my own life to witness the death of my mother to know the the death of a prince that represents almost a farewell to a childhood that made the manhood of who I am now. The creativity I fight viciously for, and the inspiration I find along the way that keeps on track with the God energy means everything to me. All the summers that passed with this amazing inspiration, creativity and emotion that is Prince to me. I realized I have no choice but to honor his creative life by honoring my own by taking my good friends advice with these 3 simple beats and this hip hop I've been working on my whole life. This is what makes me happy. Inspiration turned to creation. With heart and with love. Rest in Peace, Prince. -Exile Manfredi
The first series of the CULT CLASSIC teal vinyl sold out real quick! Don’t miss out on this very rare 2nd pressing of the RED Cult Classic vinyl, this will sell out fast. Following Detroit native Denmark Vessey and Quelle Chris’ album Slutbag Edition Denmark teams up with fellow Midwest producer Scud One for their debut album “Cult Classic.” Denmark Vessey has worked with artists such as Danny Brown, Snoop Dogg, Denaun Porter (D12), Guilty Simpson, Black Milk, Quelle Chris, Exile, Blu, Fashawn, Aloe Blacc, and Dwele.The album features guest appearances by Guilty Simpson, Exile, Quelle Chris, and Blu.
From Exile, the man responsible for critically acclaimed collaborative albums with Blu, Fashawn, Aloe Blacc & Johaz, comes the instrumental album Zip Disks & Floppies. “When I was 15 years old, before the internet, before the existence of state of the art beat making programs that quantize or add effects, my first beat was conceived using two tape decks and a turntable, followed with beats from a single push button sampler and 4-track, progressively moving up to a Roland MS1, and of course the MPC 2000. Stacks upon stacks of floppy disks saved my beats, sometimes even using 2-6 floppies for one beat. Now my beats are created using a MPC2000 XL and a zip drive capable of holding up to 15 beats, but with only 10 left I’m left with a promise to myself that it is time to upgrade to a new machine to make beats. These beats are joints I had laying around that were never used, but it’s still heat. Bang these beats loud as we near the end of my beats on the MPC 2000 XL.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to email@example.com