Experience an experiment turned masterpiece…NoYork! Los Angeles emcee Blu's oft-delayed masterpiece has been the talk of the internet for years, but has never seen a proper retail release.
While Blu has turned in a number of critically acclaimed projects lately, NoYork (also known as York) is his most ambitious project to date. Applying timeless vocals over detailed, textured instrumentals, Blu seems to have placed himself at the forefront of a new genre, melding classic hip-hop lyricism with the experimentation of the L.A. beat scene. With contributions from beat icons like Flying Lotus, Exile, Shafiq Husayn of Sa Ra,Daedalus, Dibia$e, and Samiyam, the album boasts a unique sonic backdrop that sets it apart from his previous work. NoYork also features appearances from Edan, U-God (Wu-Tang Clan), Pac Div, UNI, J*Davey, Nola Darling, and more.
1. Doin Nothin (ft. U-God) (prod. Flying Lotus)
2. Everything's OK (ft. Jack Davey) (prod. Flying Lotus)
3. Everybody Nose (ft. Sa Ra & Nola Darling) (prod. Samiyam)
4. Above Crenshaw (ft. Cashus King)
5. SLNGBNGrs (prod. Dibia$e)
6. Soupa (ft. Suzi Analogue) (prod. Samiyam)
7. Hours (prod. by Daedelus)
8. Annie Hall (ft. Chop, Brooker T, & Tiombe Lockhart) (prod. by Daedelus)
9. Tags (ft. Exile) (prod. Exile)
10. Spring Winter Summer Fall (ft. Jimetta Rose) (prod. Shafiq Husayn)
11. Down To Earth (prod. Shafiq Husayn)
12. My Sunshine (ft. Nia Andrews) (prod. Shafiq Husayn)
13. Jazmine (ft. Andy Allo) (prod. Samiyam) (Vinyl-Only Bonus)
14. Jazzmen (prod. Madlib) (Vinyl-Only Bonus)
15. Ronald Morgan (ft. Edan) (prod. Madlib) (Vinyl-Only Bonus)
16. Keep Pushinn (prod. Knxwledge)
17. Doin Somethin (ft. Pac Div, UNI, J*Davey, Tiron, & Ayomari) (prod. Flying Lotus)
Sold Out - $16.99
With over 8 years in and appearing on over 30 vinyl releases, Damu the Fudgemunk has built a modest following and a collectible catalog. With his latest release, Public Assembly (cover photo shot at the legendary Fat Beats record store in NYC), his label Redefinition Records decided to empower fans with a role in the selection process. Is this a greatest hits? Not quite, but a highlight reel of sorts influenced by carefully analyzed comments in Redef's social networking community, hence the LP title. Many consider, "The Greatest Hits Album" overdue, but for a man who considers "his best work has yet to be released", Public Assembly is the Fudgemunk's artist statement that brings things to date full circle. 10 full length instrumentals from various projects are consolidated into one album. Over half the featured tracks were either never released on vinyl (Hole Up and Streamline instrumentals) or released in limited quantities (Supply Intro). For newcomers, Public Assembly is the full course introduction into Damu the Fudgemunk's vast catalog. For those who have been on board over the years the record connects the dots in one sitting. Either way, with the growing expansions of Damu and Redefinition records, it's safe to assume this won't be last of their projects rallied by the people.
This 12-inch was released leading up to the full-length Further Adventures of Lord Quas. Cover by Jeff Jank showing the night view of Quasimoto's building where who-the-hell-knows-what goes on at all hours of the night.
Lord Quas, Madlib and Melvin Van Peebles on some fantastic, nightmarish planet, tripping hard. As hallucinatory a hip hop experience as you can possibly hope to experience without mushrooms. For some reason, the remix was featured first, and, as a result was the version featured on The Unseen album. So peep the original version – available only on this 12".
Lord Quas’ first solo 12” on Stones Throw Records! Features three songs also available on Quas’s The Unseen, but get ‘em here with artwork by DJ Design. Instrumentals too.