Record Label: Blackest Ever Black
Blackest Ever Black and Klanggalerie present the first ever vinyl reissue of Caroline K’s outstanding 1985 album, Now Wait For Last Year.
This haunting and deeply narcotic work of post-industrial synthesizer music – the late Nocturnal Emissions co-founder’s only published solo record – has accrued a fervent cult following over the past 30 years, and copies of the original pressing are today extremely rare and sought-after. Appropriately enough for an album concerned with the disruption of linear time, the music seems to exist firmly outside of it.
Caroline Kaye Walters formed Nocturnal Emissions in 1980 with Nigel Ayers, contributing voice, synthesizer, bass and drum programming to the group’s early releases. She and Ayers also co-founded Sterile Records (1979-1986), one of the key underground imprints of its time, home to music from the likes of SPK, Lustmord and Maurizio Bianchi. In later life Walters retreated from the public eye, and in 2001 married Daniel Ayers (Nigel’s brother, also of Nocturnal Emissions, and her collaborator in The Pump), moving to Garfagnana, Italy, where she resided until her death from leukaemia on July 12, 2008.
Existing at some remove to the more abrasive textures of Walters’ collaborative work, there is an underlying sadness to Now Wait For Last Year; a wistful, autumnal atmosphere that feels quintessentially British. But the album is singular in concept, structure and tone, and it transcends genre: tags like industrial, minimal synth or proto-techno help place it in a broad context, but they can’t do real justice to the understated yet richly cinematic sound-world that Walters describes. She took the title of the album from a 1966 SF novel by Philip K. Dick, whose plot revolves around a pill-based hallucinogenic drug, JJ-180, which proves to be highly toxic and addictive – causing intense paranoia and the kind of intense withdrawal effects one would normally associate with heroin. Over the course of the book, it emerges that JJ-180 induces time travel for those who take it. But the effect is different for each user, no two trips the same: some users are sent to the past, others to the future, and each trip constitutes an alternate universe, meaning no one can effectively change their future or their past.
Walters captures beautifully the temporal distortions and existential malaise brought on by JJ-180. Side-long opener ‘The Happening World’ – twenty minutes of dread oscillations, distant howls and mystic glass-tones, all smothered in reverb – is a breathtaking exercise in sustained tension, and a vortical portal into Now Wait For Last Year’s uncanny domain. The wordless vocalisations and woodwind of ‘Animal Lattice’ sound like field recordings from the dawn of man, while stately piano lines evoke something more akin to Fin de siècle romanticism; ‘Chearth’, ‘Tracking With Close-Ups’ and ‘Leaving’ are poised between the dystopian and the beatific, their elegant, deep-frozen synthesizer melodies and crisp drum machine loops appearing to embrace the future, but struggling to conceal an intractable melancholy. It’s a remarkable sound from a remarkable artist: falling somewhere between Wendy Carlos’s A Clockwork Orange, Chris Carter’s The Space Between, and early Detroit techno.
Given the glut of reissues and archival presentations of 1970s and ‘80s synth, industrial and DIY music that we’ve enjoyed (and occasionally suffered) in the present decade, it’s astonishing that Now Wait For Last Year has remained, until now, largely out of reach. Were it not for Klanggalerie’s 2010 CD reissue of the album, we might never have encountered it at all (or featured 'Animal Lattice' on the very first Blackest Ever Black mixtape, The Scold's Bridle), and so we’re delighted to be joining forces with that label in order to bring you the vinyl edition that so many of us have been waiting for.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to email@example.com