Record Label: Stones Throw
Sold Out - $39.99
Homeboy Sandman is set to release Kindness For Weakness, his third full-length album on Stones Throw Records. The album's title comes from Sandman's internal insight saying "mistaking kindness for weakness is a weakness I need to have more kindness for." One of Sandman's most poignantly lyrical releases to date, the album centers on the MCs discomfort in his comfort zone and addresses themes such as his personal insecurities, rapper stereotypes and morality. Since signing with Stones Throw Records in 2011, Homeboy Sandman has made himself at home releasing 3 full-lengths – First of a Living Breed, Hallways, and now Kindness for Weakness – along with a series of 5 short records and most recently, releasing a free EP with collaborator Aesop Rock named Lice. Sandman has once again established himself as one of the most productive and creative lyricists of this generation.
Mayer Hawthorne's debut release. Hawthorne’s hanging-by-a-string falsetto and breakbeat production on "Just Ain't Gonna Work Out" are simultaneously Smokey Robinson and J Dilla – equal parts “The Tracks of My Tears” and “Fall in Love.” Where the side A is the breakup song, the flip-side regrets it: "When I Said Goodbye" is released only on this single.
4LP box set housed in an all-black case with gold foil print, includes 20-page book with photos, liner notes by Jeff Weiss, and detailed track history by Egyptian Lover. Los Angeles native Egyptian Lover (Greg Broussard) is recognized as a pioneer of West Coast hip-hop, helping bring electro rap to the masses in the early ‘80s and influencing DJs and MCs the world over in his wake. The first West Coast rapper/producer to achieve international success, Egyptian Lover paved the way for early West Coast hip hop pioneers like Dr. Dre and the World Class Wrecking Crew, N.W.A., Ice T, Rodney O & Joe Cooley, King Tee & DJ Pooh among others. Growing up listening to Kraftwerk, Prince, Rick James and Zapp, Egyptian Lover got his start compiling mixes of his favorite records, including his own instrumental beats created on his Roland TR 808 drum machine. The club-ready cassette tape mixes started selling in the thousands. Following in the footsteps of The Sugarhill Gang, Broussard began rapping over his beats to give the party people what they wanted. The neighborhood responded, transforming him into a local celebrity. With his star status rising higher, Egyptian Lover joined Uncle Jamm’s Army and moved 10,000 person crowds at the L.A. Sports Arena with his impressive knack for scratching, performing turntable tricks and MCing. In the mid ‘80s, L.A. was becoming the electro rap capital and Egyptian Lover was at the forefront of this new West Coast rap sound, not only with his unique producer/DJ/MC aptitude, but also as label owner of Egyptian Empire Records. Selling hundreds of thousands of his 12” singles (“Egypt/Egypt”, “Dial-A-Freak”, “Girls”, “Freak-A-Holic”) to DJs and fans around the world. Egyptian Lover invented the innovative sound of combining up-tempo, synth-heavy electro beats with rap vocals. Since 1983, Egyptian Lover has remained true to his sound by recording on analog equipment, which helps create his signature sound. Egyptian Lover’s influence cannot be overstated – not only did he change the face of West Coast hip hop, but also greatly influenced electronic, techno, R&B and pop music to this day.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to email@example.com