Record Label: Record Kicks
The much awaited second album by UK's soul hurricane Hannah Williams, recorded and produced by The Heliocentrics' head honcho - Malcolm Catto.
Record Kicks proudly presents the new album "Late Nights & Heartbreak" by Hannah Williams & The Affirmations that will hit the streets worldwide next November 11th 2016. Recorded at Quatermass Studio in London - the HQ of the British cult band The Heliocentrics, - the new album has been produced by legendary UK drummer and producer Malcolm Catto. Alongside the Heliocentric albums on Now Again / Stones Throw, Malcolm is responsible for producing great albums such as "Inspiration Information" by Mulatu Astatke, "Jaiyede Afro" by Orlando Julius and "The Last Transmission" by Melvin Van Peebles. Not only this but Malcolm regularly collaborates with artists such as Floating Points, Quantic, Dj Shadow and Madlib.
So a new producer and a new life for Hannah; who is also now backed by the Affirmations, her new super tight band from Bristol - who will be touring the record too. The musicianship has ramped up several gears since Hannah's first album; bringing a welcome flare of excellence which punctuates Hannah's heartbreaking vocals and embraces Malcolm's tight, psychedelic production. Mixed totally analogue, and mastered on tape, "Late Nights & Heartbreak" includes 13 tracks of visceral soul with a touch of psychedelic atmosphere - as evidenced by the first single:"Tame in The Water". The sound is tighter and punchier than ever before - a trait of the Affirmations which has been brought out in several mind-blowing tracks - like the 8+ minutes of "Still in My Head". Which grooves hard throughout, and showcases Hannah up to her most show-stopping moment on the album. "Woman Got Soul" is another 5 minutes of groovy, addictive proof that this is next-level for Hannah and her band. The albums' grooves are interspersed with deep and layered soul tracks, like "Another Sunrise" or "Your Luck Can Change" which act as musical beds upon which Hannah explodes with genuine emotions of love, lust, longing and anger - and everything in between.All the songs are original and come from hands of the Bristol-based collective surrounding The Affirmations, led by MD James Graham. The only exception being a monster psychedelic soul version of "Dazed and Confused", which is strongly influenced by the original version by Jake Holmes.
Blessed by Sharon Jones, Hannah Williams exploded onto the soul scene with her debut album a "Hill Of Feathers" in 2012. The first single "Work it Out" was an independent hit on the airwaves all over the world. From US to Australia and all around Europe, the single became beloved; to the point where it spent time as the number 1 most downloaded song in Greece. The official video has also garnered over a million views on YouTube. The story of Hannah Williams seems to be written in lore from day one. Her father was a musically gifted minister, and her mother let her join the church choir at the age of 6. Hannah could read music before she could properly read words. Now she's an unstoppable force of incredible, once-in-a-lifetime talent. After the release of "A Hill of Feathers" in 2012, she was catapulted all around Europe, capturing the hearts of all they met including (among others): Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, Cat Power, Charles Bradley and Craig Charles. Since then Hannah has made several trips to Europe to headline festivals and stun audiences in clubs such as the Mojo in Hamburg, Magnolia in Milan and Tempo in Club Madrid. Sold out shows at UK venues include Band on the Wall in Manchester, The Colston Hall, Jazz Cafe Camden, 100 Club and Pizza Express Jazz (3 times). As well as this, she has appeared on the UK festival scene, with sets at Shambala, Valley Fest, Wilderness, Cambridge Jazz and Larmer Tree Jools Holland's stage.
The whirlwind of Soul is back to grace stages around the world and leave them in tatters afterwards.It will not take long for anyone who hears "Late Nights and Heartbreak" to be conquered by this unique and heart breaking, dance floor shaking blend of raw and real Soul.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org