Record Label: Columbia/Third Man Records
Jack White's "Acoustic Recordings 1998-2016" collects 26 acoustic songs from throughout White's wide-ranging musical career, spanning album tracks, B-sides, remixes, alternate versions, and previously unreleased tracks. The album, arranged in chronological order, includes acoustic songs made famous by The White Stripes, beginning with 'Sugar Never Tasted So Good' (originally found on The White Stripes' second-ever 7-inch single) and then lighting upon favorites like 'Apple Blossom' and 'I'm Bound To Pack It Up' (remixed here from the original recordings on 2000's De Stijl), 'Hotel Yorba' and 'We're Going To Be Friends' (from 2001's White Blood Cells), 'You've Got Her In Your Pocket' and 'Well It's True That We Love One Another' (from 2003's GRAMMY® Award-winning Elephant), 'Forever For Her (Is Over For Me),' 'White Moon' and 'As Ugly As I Seem' (from 2005's Get Behind Me Satan) 'Effect & Cause' (from 2007's Icky Thump), and the Beck-produced 'Honey, We Can't Afford To Look This Cheap,' first found on the B-side to The White Stripes' final single, 2007's 'Conquest.'
'City Lights' was written for The White Stripes' Get Behind Me Satan but then forgotten until White revisited the 2005 album for Third Man's Record Store Day 2015 vinyl reissue and finished the recording in 2016. The track is the first new, worldwide commercially released White Stripes song since 2008.
Also featured are 'Never Far Away' (recorded for 2003's Cold Mountain: Music From The Miramax Motion Picture) and 'Love Is The Truth' (written and recorded for Coca-Cola's 2006 What Goes Around campaign) as well as the Bluegrass Version of 'Top Yourself' and an acoustic mix of the epic murder ballad, 'Carolina Drama,' both written by White and Brendan Benson for The Raconteurs' GRAMMY® Award-winning 2008 album, Consolers Of The Lonely. White's two chart-topping solo albums, 2012's Blunderbuss and 2014's Lazaretto, are represented by a remarkably diverse range of material including 'Love Interruption,' 'On And On And On,' 'Blunderbuss,' 'Entitlement,' 'Want And Able,' and alternative mixes of 'Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy,' 'Just One Drink,' 'I Guess I Should Go To Sleep,' and B-side, 'Machine Gun Silhouette.'
''This, like (Son House's) 'Grinnin' In Your Face,' is mirror-music,'' writes renowned music journalist Greil Marcus of ''City Lights'' in the album's exclusive liner notes, ''the singer talking to himself, trying to tell himself the truth, which he's going to need if he's going to step out of his door, walk into the world, and fool himself, for just a second, that he's ready to take it on. As you listen, it's no surprise at all that it took most of White's music-making life to bring the song home.''
The 26 tracks featured on "Acoustic Recordings 1998-2016" were remastered by Andrew Mendelson at Nashville, TN's Georgetown Masters. All songs were written and produced exclusively by Jack White, except 'Never Far Away' (produced by T Bone Burnett), 'Honey, We Can't Afford To Look This Cheap' (produced by Beck), 'Top Yourself (Bluegrass Version)' and 'Carolina Drama' (written & produced by White & Brendan Benson), and 'Machine Gun Silhouette' (written by White & Rob Jones)."
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org