Record Label: Redefinition Records
“Sounds like the early 90s,” “Vintage” & “Boom-Bap” are phrases often used nowadays in an attempt to describe modern music that is reminiscent of hip-hop's golden era, more specifically the sound of late 80's and early 90s sample based rap. Using those exact phrases to describe K-Def's Tape Two instrumental project is fitting on many levels, not only because the audio on this album fits the description, but because the tracks contained were actually made during the late 80s / early 90s by an ambitious young man from New Jersey known as Kevin Hansford aka K-Def. When you listen to these beats, please keep in mind that these pieces are sourced from an old cassette that was recently rediscovered. What you hear on this project is actually coming to you straight from the early 90s via a lost & found beat tape recorded during Def’s formative years as an artist.
These days a lot of artists attempt to emulate the sound and the style pioneered by artists like Primo, Rza, Large Pro and yes even K-Def, but their intentions are usually more retro than real. Veteran hip-hop producer K-Def has been “making beats” for well over 25 years, way before the term “boom bap” was ever coined and before any rap producer opted to make instrumental albums. Back then, bulky machines like the SP1200 and MPC60 were used not because of their “gritty” sonic texture, but instead simply because those particular samplers offered new and innovative ways to manipulate sounds, making production accessible to folks who otherwise might not have access to a full band or recording studio. Those 12 & 16 bit sampling behemoths allowed guys like K-Def and Primo to combine and reprogram audio sourced from vinyl records into thundering new instrumental compositions. Thanks in part to his musical background as a DJ & Dancer, combined with a little bit of networking, K almost instantly went from dreamer to doer. The story goes something like this: in the early 90s, K-Def created a handful of beat tapes that started to circulate the NY/NJ area via his network of MCs, quickly reaching the ears of production mastermind Marley Marl. Def’s big break came when his cousin passed a tape to Marley, who immediately recognized that this particular young man from Jersey had the “skills to pay the bills” as they used to say. Marley wasted no time making the drive from NY to NJ, arriving straight at K's front door, offering him the role of in-house producer at the legendary legendary house of hits! The rest is history (check K-Def's full discography which is brimming with hidden gems and certified rap classics featuring the likes of Ghostface, Real Live, Lords of the Underground, tragedy, LL Cool J and others).
Tape Two offers rare access to unreleased instrumentals sourced straight from K-Def's vintage beat tapes!
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to email@example.com