Record Label: Brick Records
PHILADELPHIA, 2004. Random, aka Mega Ran, and Storyville met as colleagues in an underground Hip Hop collective. Ran was already known around town as one of the best up and coming emcees while Story was starting to build a buzz on the battle scene. When they first met, their musical chemistry was undeniable. It wasn't long before Storyville was showing up on Random's records in different capacities. In 2005 Storyville produced a record with a violist named Holly Fulton, and Random turned that instrumental into the song "Push".
Eventually Random moved out to Phoenix and Storyville went off to New York to pursue recording and mixing. The two stayed in touch over the years but it wasn't until 2008 and when they really reunited. They both independently decided to enter the Scribble Jam Rap Battle preliminary rounds in their respective locations - Random in Phoenix, Storyville in New York. Each won a place in the final competition (and the very last Scribble Jam) in Cincinnati. The two reconnected like they had never missed a step. In 2009, Ran wrote a song with producer Samik, which Weiss engineered. That song was "Splash Woman" and became Mega Ran's most popular song to date.
Fast forward to 2015, and now Random is also known as Mega Ran, the first rap artist ever to be licensed by Capcom. The world's foremost video game inspired musician. Storyville is now a leading mixing engineer, whose tutorial series "Mixing Rap Vocals" has been accessed over a million times.
"It could be my most complete work ever, and I don't say that much," Ran says of the project's progress. "We're both stepping outside of our comfort zones and creating really challenging and fun music." The album will contain much of the fun that the two have exhibited on tracks like "UknowTheName," and the musicality of tracks like "Push" into one concise package.
"The timing was finally right," says Storyville. "We've been so busy, but we've carved out the time to dedicate to this project, and it shows." Weiss has spent the last seven years engineering for some of the biggest names in music, including Grammy winners Arrested Development, George Clinton, and Ronnie Spector. "My career as an engineer really took off, but making this project with Ran called me back to my roots."
Meanwhile, after being named LA Weekly's "Artist Likely to Be Big in 2014," Ran has made good on the projections in superhero-like leaps and bounds. He has organized successful tours of the US, Japan, and Europe, released a documentary DVD, orchestrated a hugely successful Kickstarter campaign, all while releasing several critically acclaimed albums.
The Soul Veggies album will include production by Storyville, Small Pro, frequent collaborator Samik ("Splash Woman") and more, and guest vocals by legendary MC Wise Intelligent of the acclaimed group Poor Righteous Teachers, among others. The album contains everything we've seen from the two, solo and collectively, from B-Boy styled park jams ("React,") humorous contemporary rap commentary ("Rappin About Rappin") to carefully constructed introspective tales ("Another Day"), and of course, video games ("Life's A Game").
Mega Ran and Storyville are Soul Veggies.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org