Record Label: Fat Beats Records
Few artists in hip-hop have afforded the longevity that Sadat X has. Where so many off his peers have faded into obscurity, Sadat somehow continues to write innovative songs, deliver relevant contemporary commentary, and effortlessly staying tuned to trends of the day. Having enjoyed an outstanding career in hip-hop, spanning nearly 3 decades as one of the genres most distinctive voices, his undeniable twang has commanded songs not just as 1/3rd of the fabled Brand Nubian (5 group albums), but alongside our genres greatest from Jay Z, Notorious B.I.G., Nas, & Common (to name a few). He's even been tapped by the likes of popular singer/songwriter Jack Johnson, legendary House-producer Miguel Migs and MC Lyte all in recent months for collaborations on their respected albums. And not just vocalists fiend for a good X verse; extraordinary producers from The Neptunes to Primo to Madlib to Prince Paul have all called in lyrics from the self-proclaimed Dot Father to accentuate their sound scapes.
When you hear the name Andre the Giant, your initial thought is a great, larger than life, ground-breaking, strength defying man. A.G. (Andre Barnes) was born in hip-hop's originating borough - The Bronx. AG was asked to contribute to Lord Finesse's LP, titled The Funky Technician. On that fateful session, A.G. met Showbiz. Bringing back some much-needed swagger and soul, the forming of Showbiz and A.G. is what some might call the rebirth of the Bronx. Show and A.G. became a collaborative intricate part of the superb Diggin' in the Crates Crew; an elite team of MCs and producers who can claim much influence on genuine East Coast Hip-Hop. In 1992, A.G. and his counterpart Showbiz, released their debut single "Soul Clap", a self-titled EP. Their debut album, Runaway Slave, followed and is seen to date as a hip-hop essential and they followed up with Goodfellows in 1994. In 1999, A.G. released his much antici-pated first solo debut, The Dirty Version. A.G.'s second solo album, Get Dirty Radio, was released in 2006. Flash-forward to 2011 and almost two decades after A.G. not only made an impact but a dent in hip-hop; A.G. continues to release quality Hip Hop albums. A.G. is also an intricate part of the group Trinity, gearing up to their dedication to hip-hop purity.
Since its inception on July 14, 1994, Fat Beats, has had one mission: to become the international mecca for true lovers of Hip Hop. Solely owned by Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab), Fat Beats first opened its doors as a small, vinyl only retail store in a basement location at 323 East 9th Street in Manhattan's East Village. Since then, DJ Jab has seen his company explode all over the place -- worldwide that is. Fat Beats Distribution is the premier international independent distribution company specializing in hip hop. Now DJ Jab has taken on a producers role in putting a true Hip Hop project together in Trinity. With production by the late J.Dilla and features from legends like Roxanne Shante, Everlast, Grand Puba as well as today's cream of the crop like, Slug, Immortal Technique, Roc Marciano and Ill Bill to name a few, the Trinity project volume one is destined to be a classic.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org