The Replacements - Dead Man's Pop (4xCD + LP)
4CD/1LP Boxed Set Features The Group’s Don’t Tell A Soul Album Mixed As It Was Originally Intended And Expanded With Previously Unreleased Studio And Live Recordings, Including A Session With Tom Waits And A Complete 1989 Concert
Although Don’t Tell A Soul ultimately became the group’s best-selling effort, The Replacements were unsatisfied with the sound of the record. The band has radically re-imagined Don’t Tell A Soul to create a 4CD/1LP set that features the album mixed as it was originally intended (Don’t Tell A Soul Redux), along with a collection of previously unheard tracks (We Know The Night: Rare & Unreleased), and a classic concert from 1989 (The Complete Inconcerated Live).
The box features a newly completed mix of the album by Don’t Tell A Soul producer Matt Wallace (based on his 1988 Paisley Park mix); a disc of unreleased recordings (including a session with Tom Waits); plus the band’s entire June 2, 1989 show at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. In total, the box includes 60 tracks–58 of which have never been heard before.
Presented in a 12 x 12 hardcover book – loaded with dozens of rarely seen photos - the set features a detailed history of the Don’t Tell A Soul era written by Bob Mehr, who produced the box with Rhino’s Jason Jones, and also authored The New York Times bestseller Trouble Boys: The True Story of the Replacements.
Paul Westerberg, Slim Dunlap, Tommy Stinson and Chris Mars started recording Don’t Tell A Soul in June 1988 with Tony Berg at Bearsville Studios, but the chaotic sessions were cut short and mothballed. Nine unreleased tracks from Bearsville appear on Dead Man’s Pop, including early versions of “I’ll Be You,” “Darlin’ One” and “Achin’ To Be” and the previously unheard “Last Thing in the World.” The collection also features tracks the band recorded with Tom Waits, five of which have never been officially released: among them, “Lowdown Monkey Blues,” “We Know The Night” and a cover of Billy Swan’s “I Can Help.”
The final two CDs of Dead Man’s Pop capture the band performing live in Milwaukee during the “Don’t Tell A Soul Tour.” A few songs from the concert originally appeared on the promo-only EP Inconcerated Live (1989), but the bulk of the 29 tracks included have never been released. The entire show has been newly mixed by Brian Kehew (Ramones, The Faces).
Additionally, Dead Man’s Pop will include Wallace’s Don’t Tell A Soul Redux mix on 180-gram vinyl.
LP & Disc One: Don't Tell A Soul Redux
1. “Talent Show” (Matt Wallace Mix)
2. “I’ll Be You” (Matt Wallace Mix)
3. “We’ll Inherit The Earth” (Matt Wallace Mix)
4. “Achin’ To Be” (Matt Wallace Mix)
5. “Darlin’ One” (Matt Wallace Mix)
6. “Back to Back” (Matt Wallace Mix)
7. “I Won’t” (Matt Wallace Mix)
8. “Asking Me Lies” (Matt Wallace Mix)
9. “They’re Blind” (Matt Wallace Mix)
10. “Anywhere’s Better Than Here” (Matt Wallace Mix)
11. “Rock 'N' Roll Ghost” (Matt Wallace Mix)
Disc Two: We Know The Night: Rare & Unreleased
1. “Portland” (Alternate Mix) [Bearsville Version]
2. “Achin' to Be” (Bearsville Version)*
3. “I’ll Be You” (Bearsville Version)*
4. “Wake Up” (Alternate Mix) (Bearsville Version)
5. “We’ll Inherit The Earth” (Bearsville Version)*
6. “Last Thing In The World”*
7. “They’re Blind” (Bearsville Version)*
8. “Rock 'N' Roll Ghost” (Bearsville Version)*
9. “Darlin' One” (Bearsville Version)*
10. “Talent Show” (Demo Version)
11. “Dance On My Planet”
12. “We Know The Night” (Alternate Outtake)
13. “Ought To Get Love” (Alternate Mix)
14. “Gudbuy T’Jane” (Outtake)
15. “Lowdown Monkey Blues” (Feat. Tom Waits)*
16. “If Only You Were Lonely” (Feat. Tom Waits)*
17. “We Know The Night” (Rehearsal) [Feat. Tom Waits]*
18. “We Know The Night” (Full Band Version) [Feat. Tom Waits]*
19. “I Can Help” (Feat. Tom Waits)*
20. “Date To Church” (Matt Wallace Mix)
Disc Three: The Complete Inconcerated Live, Part 1
1. “Alex Chilton” (Live)*
2. “Talent Show” (Live)
3. “Back To Back” (Live)*
4. “I Don’t Know” (Live)*
5. “The Ledge” (Live)*
6. “Waitress In The Sky” (Live)*
7. “Anywhere's Better Than Here” (Live)
8. “Nightclub Jitters” (Live)*
9. “Cruella De Ville” (Live)*
10. “Achin' To Be” (Live)*
11. “Asking Me Lies” (Live)*
12. “Bastards Of Young” (Live)*
13. “Answering Machine” (Live)
14. “Little Mascara” (Live)*
15. “I’ll Be You” (Live)*
Disc Four: The Complete Inconcerated Live, Part 2
1. “Darlin' One” (Live)*
2. “I Will Dare” (Live)*
3. “Another Girl, Another Planet” (Live)
4. “I Won’t” (Live)*
5. “Unsatisfied” (Live)*
6. “We’ll Inherit The Earth” (Live)*
7. “Can’t Hardly Wait” (Live)*
8. “Color Me Impressed” (Live)*
9. “Born to Lose” (Live)*
10. “Never Mind” (Live)*
11. “Here Comes A Regular” (Live)
12. “Valentine” (Live)*
13. “Left Of The Dial” (Live)*
14. “Black Diamond” (Live)*
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com
Order Processing Time
Online orders are processed within *3-4 business days or *7-9 business days depending on availability.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, our shipping and processing times have been extended. Please note, we are still shipping and attending to customer service inquiries as per usual. Delays in supply chain, shorter fulfillment schedules, as well as extended processing from USPS have forced these delays for the time being. Thank you for your patience and business as we navigate these difficult times!
Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
Out of Stock Items
Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock or on back-order, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.