2016 was another great year for the Fat Beats team, between the very successful launch of our Baker's Dozen series and a few of our very own Fat Beats-exclusive titles that we're very proud of, and we're happy to say that your listening habits tended to match up pretty well with ours along the way. You loved the multi-talented Anderson .Paak's various projects -- Malibu and Yes Lawd! ended up on a number of our staff year end lists -- while smooth beat work from Dil Withers, Ahwlee and Swarvy became staples on the office playlist.
Our full staff turned in their favorite releases, songs, live performances and moments for your perusal and in hindsight, it was a damn good year for music. Hip-hop, soul, funk and beats were staples of the Fat Beats diet, of course, but drum and bass bruk outs (Richie Brains), ambient excursions (Dedekind Cut) and the occasional molten metal madness (The Body) made the cut as well. Hopefully you find some similarities with your year-end round ups and discover something entirely new.
Can't wait for what 2017 has to offer!
1. Dil Withers – Studies
2. Ahwlee – 1991
3. Mndsgn – Body Wash
4. Frankie Reyes – Boleros Valses Y Mas
5. V/A - Sofie's SOS tape
6. Devonwho – Luz
7. Swarvy – Elderberry
8. Ohbliv – Lewse Joints V
9. Tuamie - Masta Killa
10. Mndsgn x Ahwlee - Rap Vacation Xmas
1. Ryuichi Sakamoto – The Revenant OST
2. Mark Korven - The Witch OST
3. Bon Iver - 22, A Million
4. Dil Withers – Studies
5. Ahwlee – 1991
6. Mndsgn – Body Wash
7. Ty Dolla $ign – Campaign
8. Ivan Ave – Helping Hands
9. Anderson .Paak – Malibu
10. Swarvy – Elderberry
1. Abdu Ali - Mongo
2. Clara! – Reggaetoneras 2
3. DJ Marfox – Chapa Quente
4. Elysia Crampton – Demon City
5. Equiknoxx – Bird Sound Power
6. Kablam - Furiosa
7. Mixpak Boiler Room w/ The Large, Dre Skull, Chromatic, Konshens
8. Sir Spyro - "Topper Top (ft. Teddy Bruckshot, Lady Chann and Killa P)"
9. Tomasa Del Real – “Tu Senora"
10. Via App - Sixth Stitch
1. Anderson .Paak – Malibu
2. NxWorries – Yes Lawd!
3. Frankie Reyes - Boleros Valses Y Mas
4. Kaytranada - 99.9%
5. Isaiah Rashad – The Sun’s Tirade
6. Black Milk – The Rebellion Sessions
7. Mild High Club - Skiptracing
8. Mndsgn - Body Wash
9. ATCQ – We Got It From Here... Thank You For Your Service
10. Kyle DIxon and Michael Stein - Stranger Things
1. Calyx & TeeBee - 1x1
2. The LOX - Filthy America…It’s Beautiful
3. Deftones - Gore
4. Delta Heavy - Paradise Lost
5. 65daysofstatic - No Man's Sky: Music For An Infinite Universe
6. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
7. Dil Withers – Studies
8. Royce Da 5’9 - Trust The Shooter
9. Richie Brains - Who Is Richie Brains
10. *Tool finished mastering a new album…….
1. Kaytranada - 99.9%
2. Anderson .Paak – Malibu
3. ATCQ - We Got It From Here... Thank You For Your Service
4. Blood Orange - Freetown Sound
5. Isaiah Rashad – The Sun’s Tirade
6. Majid Jordan - Majid Jordan
7. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered
8. Adrian Younge & Ali Shaheed Muhammad - Luke Cage: Original Soundtrack
9. Schoolboy Q - Blank Face
10. BadBadNotGood - IV
11. Solange - A Seat At The Table
12. Adrian Younge - Something About April II
Top 10 music things:
1. Brainfeeder @ Hollywood Bowl
2. Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book
3. kendrick - "untitled 2"
4. Anderson .Paak show in his hometown and catching his drumstick
5. Drunk hour long conversation with Thundercat @ Low End Theory
6. Carlos Santana/Herbie Hancock/Wayne Shorter @ Hollywood Bowl
7. Majid Jordan shows - 2 nights in a row
8. FRANKY OCEAN - BLONDE
9. Kendrick coming out at Schoolboy Q show and performing "Untitled 7"
10. Isaiah Rashad - "4r Da Squaw"
1. Anohni @ FYF / Anohni - Hopelessness
2. Babyfather - BBF Hosted By DJ Escrow
3. MssingNo - Fones
4. Huerco S. - For Those Of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have)
5. Burial - Young Death b/w Nightmarket
6. Amnesia Scanner - AS
7. Dedekind Cut - $uccessor
8. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
9. Godspeed You! Black Emperor @ Desert Daze
10. The Body - No One Deserves Happiness
Matthewdavid's Mindflight - Trust The Guide and Glide
Sons Of Frod - Songs About H.E.R.
Dil Withers – Studies
Mndsgn - Body Wash
Carlos Niño & Friends - Flutes, Echoes, It's All Happening!
Tuamie - Masta Killa
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org