Record Label: Hyperdub
THE TWO CLASSIC BURIAL ALBUMS ARE BEING RE-PRESSED ON 180G DOUBLE VINYL AND, FOR THE FIRST TIME, UPDATED TO INCLUDE THE BEATLESS ATMOSPHERIC TRACKS THAT UP UNTIL NOW HAVE ONLY BEEN AVAILABLE ON THE CD VERSIONS. THESE NEW PRESSINGS ALSO COME WITH UNIQUE CODES FOR FREE DOWNLOAD. PLEASE NOTE - THESE ARE NOT RE-ISSUES, THERE’S NO NEW MUSIC, NOTHING REMASTERED - JUST REVISED, IMPROVED AND BACK IN PRINT. SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG.
Certain to be one of the most memorable albums of the year and without a doubt its most groundbreaking - Burial's debut album has already been subject to extensive discussion and focus dotted around the entire musical spectrum, from the cavernous Dubstep community at one end to the expansive critical behemoth of Pitchfork and Simon Reynolds at the other.
Cliché and hyperbole aside, it's true to say that only once in while we're presented with an album of such chilling sensation, tempered skill and emotional mastery that the listener is overwhelmingly submerged into the producer's wholly realised creation of a musical urban legend. Burial's sonic and geographic roots in an anonymous south London location are clearly apparent in the subterranean blues of opener 'Distant lights', affecting the synapses with MDMA singed pads floating over an impossibly slinky 2-step syncopation and luscious diva lick, summoning lost feelings for mid-late 90's rave dystopia.
On the narrative tip Spaceape becomes the dark interpreter for the phantom dancehall machinations of 'Spaceape', whilst 'wounder's' offstep organ stabs part the way for the comforting paranoia of 'Night Bus'. 'Southern comfort' is one of two tracks lifted from the stunning 'south London boroughs' EP that first introduced Burial to us about a year ago, epitomising the dynamic impetus behind Burial's legend-creating narrative consistent throughout the album. 'Gutted' expresses a mournful sonic sentiment, before the emotional pinnacle of Broken Home's tumultuous bassline and disembodied capleton lick leaves you in a crippled mess.
The haunted rhythmic bliss of 'Prayer' slips into catharsis, clearing the airwaves for Burial to allow the ghosts of long-gone transmissions, raves and soundsystem reverberations to be channelled through his expanded bandwidth for album closer 'Pirates'. Respect to Hyperdub, a shocking debut.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org