Record Label: Anticon
Limited to 1000
To hit play on D33J's long-awaited debut album is to tumble headlong into a rich sonic universe of captivating improbabilities. Where narcotic house music slow-pulses alongside deconstructed future R&B and lush ambient dreamscapes. Where an astoundingly 3-D depth of field somehow radiates with incredible intimacy. Where digital means of production are often usurped by guitar play, analog synth, field recording, or tape edit. Where experimentalism and accessibility aren't the least bit mutually exclusive. Perhaps that's why the taste-making Los Angeles producer and DJ named the project after a thing that doesn't, shouldn't, and couldn't exist: Death Valley Oasis. We'd expect nothing less from D33J, who picks up plaudits whether he's rocking a sweaty Boiler Room show with his Wedidit crewmates, producing blissed out rap tracks for Lil Yachty's albums and mixtapes, or composing solo songs that instantly immerse us in an ever-shifting grid of odd rhythms and melodies. It's all par for the course for someone who grew up in the hyper-cultural melting pot of L.A., plus attended the city's esteemed (yet public) Hamilton High magnet school, where he not only met future tourmate and Death Valley Oasis collaborator Baths, but played in bands with the surf-punkers who'd found FIDLAR, and loaned his sweater to Odd Future's Syd in biology that one time. His path to now has never not been strange and fascinating, with stops in San Francisco for a degree in audio-visual design, and Hamburg for a two-month residency crafting tech-powered interactive art installations, all while developing his inimitable sound. Two EPs — 2011's Tide Songs, in time eventually remastered by Brainfeeder steady Mathewdavid, and 2013's Gravel — plus a run of unpredictable mostly unauthorized R3MIX3S (Drake, Taylor Swift, Brandy, Sigur Rós) heralded the arrival, four years later, of this fully realized work.
Death Valley Oasis contains no filler but there are standout moments: like Anticon label mate and Dirty Projectors alum Angel Deradoorian channelling her inner Destiny's Child on the jittery "Spark", or D33J taking a rare turn on the mic to wax druggily romantic on "Plateau," or the eerie Burial-like gloom-bomb that is "Dead Sea," or "Rot," a teamup with Wedidit star Shlohmo (who also provides this album's artwork) and DJ Khaled-approved singer Corbin (f.k.a. Spooky Black) that opens on acoustic strum and reinvents the quiet storm genre before closing with what sounds like death metal pounded out on an MPC. Death Valley Oasis isn't just another entry in D33J's book of "Emotional Dance Music," as he once coined, it's the definitive tome and a paragon of what can be accomplished when a blatant disregard for musical boundaries is matched with ace technical ability and endless tangible heart. This is one to get lost in — the desert and the slake.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org