Record Label: Anticon
Vocalist, multi-instrumentalist and sonic visionary Angel Deradoorian has never shied away from testing aural and conceptual boundaries in her work. On her last album, The Expanding Flower Planet, Deradoorian led listeners through a kaleidoscopic journey that explored new rhythmic ideas culled from ancient traditions. Yet her latest album, the entrancing and seismic Eternal Recurrence, is unlike anything she’s ever recorded. The stark album, which predominantly features Deradoorian’s riveting vocals co-mingling with a handful of instruments, is a testament to an artist who found new depths both within herself and in her process through allowing herself to be driven entirely by instinct.
Right before The Expanding Flower Planet was released in 2015, Deradoorian decamped to Big Sur for a formative ten days and began crafting what would become Eternal Recurrence, out October 06, 2017 on Anticon. She then completed the mini-LP with co-producer Ben Greenberg after a move to a remote upstate New York town in 2016. The extremities of the California region—where mountain meets sea and life comingles with death—reverberates on “Mountainside,” a texturally lush tune about learning to feel comfort in being alone, and mourning the dissolution of a certain kind of love.
Fittingly, Eternal Recurrence, brims with meditative affirmations that mimic cycles, planetary and otherwise. The collection of songs are woven together by structurally abstract “thoughts in sound,” as Deradoorian puts it. It breathes through drones, synthesizers and vocal acrobatics peripherally inspired by the music of Alice Coltrane, Ornette Coleman and Don Cherry. The stirring songs comprising Eternal Recurrence also probe an uninhibited form of expression, particularly within the warbles of “Love Arise” and the watery underworld of emotion on the instrumental piece “Ausar Temple.”
At times the process was a struggle, because it involved reckoning with the past and resisting the present in order to rebuild herself for the future. Many realizations came into sharp focus from those isolated times, like the song “Mirrorman,” a stark near-limerick and deft study in intervals. The reflective song circles the theme of individuation—specifically, the idea of becoming holistic by honoring both the feminine and masculine elements we each carry within us. Meanwhile “Return-Transcend,” the eight-minute opus on the mini-LP, is an affirmation of both being one with the universe and at peace with the unknown.
Honoring and extending gratitude towards friends, and their individual strengths, became crucial to constructing Eternal Recurrence, as well. Deradoorian wrote the entrancing vocal harmonies of “Nia In the Dark” for a friend, the Los Angeles-based musician Nia Andrews. “We had these conversations where she’s never really felt seen in certain ways, and I know a lot of people don’t feel seen,” Deradoorian explains. “But they do so much and they inspire so many people around them. So it’s kind of talking about like, ‘You may not be seen by all, but these are all the things I see in you, and I see what you’re doing and how you affect everyone and you’re such an important thread in people’s lives.”
The transcendent “Love Arise,” which opens Eternal Recurrence, was also written as an ode to a friend, Nai Palm of Hiatus Kaiyote. Yet the meditative song—in which Deradoorian sings “love’s the only thing keeping me alive—also functions as a kind of underlying thesis for Eternal Recurrence, an album whose wonders unfurl further with every listen. “It is an affirmation of calling in love when you’re alone and afraid, essentially,” Deradoorian says. “Or just freaking out, and calming yourself down and remembering why you live and what you live for. And for me, it’s love.”
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org