Record Label: Redefinition Records
“Developing the brain, always measure the aim, feeling pleasant in the present things could never be the same.” - Insight
Redefinition Records is proud to release the latest project from one of hip hop's most multi-talented artists, Insight the Truncator aka Andre Todman. Insight returns to the spotlight after a departure from the industry in recent years. Where was he and what was he up to? Well after a decade and a half in the business, dozens of respected records, countless national and international tours, Insight took a well deserved hiatus to try other endeavors such as app development, electronics and social media strategizing, areas in which he found great success. This shouldn't surprise longtime fans who may remember in as early as 1997, Insight created his own website, Insight.fm which featured an interactive SP1200 and forums. This was rare during the pre-social media era, long before having a web presence was a part of an artist’s everyday operation. Building a strong reputation for his live performance, his on-stage capabilities included not only rapping, but also producing, DJing, and even live drawing-while-freestyling and interacting with audience members. The triple threat from Boston (MC / DJ / Producer) has dedicated his life to his creativity and his diverse portfolio and resume is a true testament to the kind person Insight is on and off of his recordings. Credited for mentoring and being instrumental in the career beginnings of many of the staples of Boston’s current Hip Hop scene, and beyond, Insight also assisted a young D.C. native known as Damu the Fudgemunk, who later matured into an esteemed solo artist in his own right (and co-owner of Redefinition records). The 2 would first collaborate on one of the greatest hip hop albums of the 2000's as Y Society on 2007's full length, Travel at Your Own Pace. Through this collaboration they formed a brotherhood that today is well into its second decade, bookmarked by this latest release. On Ears Hear Spears, “The Truncator” passionately speaks his mind through rhyme while “The Fudgemunk” handles all production. Throughout 10 outstanding tracks Insight delivers a diverse lyrical exhibition over a then 20-21 year old Damu the Fudgemunk's beats. There's an undeniable level of directness and sincerity in his lyrics which are artfully assembled in a manner that will astonish literary buffs, yet permeate the lives of everyday listeners alike. Pick up a copy of the album on Vinyl, Cassette Tape or CD now. Vinyl version includes printed lyric sheet. Album also available to stream or download on all digital channels.
Insight offered the following thoughts about the album: "Ears Hear Spears is a milestone in my life that reflects an intersection of so many paths. I had been living in Berlin and was on a 4 year stretch of non stop touring. I was just preparing to move back to the US. It was ’07 and the first generation iPhone was released … I started getting into App development while the music industry was very rapidly changing. As an American under the Bush presidency, I had a lot on my mind. I had only met Damu once at a show in 2004, but we kept in contact for several years before we started to work on music. He called me one day with an album concept and a potential record deal from Tres Records. I was down to make the album but I also felt a responsibility to honestly express myself and what was on my mind at the time. We recorded and turned in Ears Hear Spears, however, to our surprise we were shut down by the label (Tres Records, now defunct). They simply said that this album was not what they wanted or expected from us, which is something an artist never wants to hear, but we didn’t let that slow down our momentum. Damu and I only took about 10 days to put the project together, but instead of revising it, we shelved it and quickly recorded a whole new album for label approval (This new album was titled Travel At Your Own Pace). From there, the Travel LP was released and time went on. We didn’t record any music videos or go on tour. Instead I focused on Apps and other ventures while Damu went on to build a strong catalog of solo projects. Over the years, Ears became foreign to me. It got to a point where while listening in retrospect it seemed like my past speaking to my present. This album discusses the importance of togetherness, using your mind, the politics of the music industry and so much more. As time progressed, inequality, racism and ignorance [all topics covered in depth on Ears] moved to the forefront in unexpected ways, dominating news and everyday conversations through the rising usage of social media. This album that was once considered limited actually became more relevant as time went by. I started to feel that we had a duty to release it now. I have many new projects planned for the near future including a new album with Damu, and many solo works, but before I release them; this album is right on time. Rather than just point out the negative thing happening in our world, hopefully these songs will help us to find ways to cope and move our minds to a better place.” - Insight
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org