Record Label: Stones Throw
When not out touring the globe with his band, DJing nights in the Pacific Northwest that he calls home or running through the streets of Los Angeles with pal, mentor and label-head Peanut Butter Wolf, James Singleton aka James Pants is up in his lab assemblin’. He’s packed numerous recorded projects under his belt for Stones Throw Records and this is his first effort with publishing/licensing house Miserable Beast Music. All The Hits is a journey into the genre-les domain typically classified as library music, made specifically for the visual medium.
James Pants is the best kept secret of his generation. Whoever is keeping this secret needs to stop. Not only does he wield virtuosic skills on his instrument (the drums, you didn’t know?), but he is a multi-tasking, visionary producer and song craftsman. He finds new sounds and gets them. He finds interesting feelings in styles you thought you forgot. Much like James Brown had his People, and like Ol’ Roy had his Uno Melodic, we will be surprised if Pants does not unbuckle his very own label some day....
But for now, Pants is holding it down for Stones Throw Records – the L.A.-based imprint with the global influence we feel today. Once regarded by nay-sayers as the red-headed step-child of a hip-hop leviathan, and a sure sign of the label’s imminent demise, the misunderstood James Pants without doubt has turned his critics inside-out. Staying original and musical, this first-string player has been putting in work, honing his wrinkle-free stage show into a scintillating force that has toured Europe a couple times and China too.... and his sophomore release has yet to hit the stores.
It wasn’t always this easy for Pants. There were hard times and more than his share of critics. Coming from the mountain fresh atmosphere of Spokane, Washington – and, reaching back to high school, the Southern hospitality of Austin, Texas – the insecurity and hesitation of Hollywood life smelled nearly poisonous when Stones Throw leader Peanut Butter Wolf invited young Pants to swing through and intern for a bit back in 2005. Haters basically tried to bring him down from the moment his leathery sandal hit the cracked concrete. To understand how remarkable humility and resolve gave Pants the ability to focus and carry on with his art, let’s take it back further...
....to high school prom in Austin, Texas. At a Peanut Butter Wolf gig after James Pants’s prom – That’s where James Pants brought his date to try and meet Peanut Butter Wolf. The two DJs (one iconic, one aspiring) went record shopping the next day. The lone Wolf saw something of himself in the lanky teen with the preternatural funk. How can this be explained? James Pants had his own hip-hop crew at school; he made the beats and DJ’d, providing the musical backdrop for his peers’ Black militant subject matter. How is this possible? Everyone likes Pants. Just like his father, the baseball trivia expert and many tenured minister.
Or should we say, just like his daddy the Preacher! Performing – elocuting vociferously – in front of any audience.... it’s in his blood. Treating one’s neighbor as one would like to be treated? Check. Turning the other cheek to a hater? Check. What you have is a born community leader, who happens to have a message of music. Sounds – abstract, funky, synthetic, organic, stimulating, stirring – constitute the man’s sermon.... He reads from his own scriptures – the vinyl offerings of every genre – and, if you happen to catch his live show James Pants & The Royal Zodiac, he will baptise you too, from the font of effervescent feedback flowing down from the stage.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to email@example.com