Record Label: The Wire
Releases of the year
We asked our contributors to nominate their top 10 vinyl, CDs, downloads and streams of the year, then we counted up the votes
Our contributors look back on 2015’s cultural highs and lows
Pictures Of Infinity
Stewart Smith on the cosmic jazz connection
Leave The Capital
Abi Bliss on underground music thriving outside the metropolis
Writing And Difference
Frances Morgan on women writing about music
Richard Stacey on MCs growing up in public
Patrick Ward on the return of the concept album
Our specialist critics select music that rocked their corner of the subculture, from avant rock to the outer limits
A cast of 2015’s most active movers and shakers shine the spotlight on their cultural year
Archive Releases Of The Year
Our contributors voted for their Top 10 reissue or archival albums, tracks and downloads, and we counted them all up
The French collage artist tape-tackles the jumble of daily life. By Nick Cain
The film maker reveals truths about the modern city via parables of a depopulated future. By Emily Bick
DW Robertson (aka Ergo Phizmiz) assesses the drawbacks of music’s pay-what-you-want online economy
Global Ear Zagreb
The Croatian capital’s disparate underground music scene is alive with possibilities. By Antonio Pošćić
Invisible Jukebox Gnod
Salford’s neo-psych warriors trip over The Wire’s mystery record selection. Tested by Nick Mitchell
The Inner Sleeve
Noveller on Sonic Youth's Goo videos
John Collins finds his own space on a tour bus in Ghana
New music books: jazz and religion, musical revolution, the mysteries of Japan, and adventures in American music
New films and DVDs: Theory Of Obscurity: A Film About The Residents and Tubby Hayes: A Man In A Hurry
Recent exhibitions: X-Ray Audio: Forbidden Soviet Music ‘On The Bone’ in Birmingham, and Karen Finley in London
Recent festivals, gigs and clubs: Semibreve, Jazzfest Berlin, Księżyc, PJ Harvey, and more
Apparatus, Dean Blunt, Joshua Bonnetta, The Bug, Circuit Breaker, Dikeman/Parker/Drake, Eartheater, Father Murphy, Jürg Frey, Gaika, Dominique Grimaud, Guttersnipe, Hijokaidan, Hijokaidan x Yoshihide Otomo, Jojo Hiroshige, Jojo Hiroshige & Haruo Ueda, Eva-Maria Houben, JT The Goon, Jack Latham, Lilly Joel, David Lynch & Mark Zebrowski, Stephan Mathieu, Daniel Menche & Mamiffer, Miss Red, Mordant Music, Jon Mueller, Cian Nugent, Roly Porter, Pyramids Of Space, Hans Joachim Roedelius & Leon Muraglia, Marianne Schuppe, Keith Seatman, Shapednoise, The Sprawl, Swifta Beater, Thanet, Tortoise, Aino Tytti, Vainio & Vigroux, Various: Gqom Oh!, Various: Grime 2015, Various: NoFi Rainbow Vol 2, Various: Pekak!, Various: Territoires Vol 1, Nate Wooley Quintet, Wrekmeister Harmonies, Zeitkratzer
African Head Charge, Laddio Bolocko, John Cale, Change, The Milo Fine Free Jazz Ensemble, Dredd Foole, Magma, Tom Mkhize, Normil Hawaiians, Gary Numan, The Soul Jazzmen, Various: LEAF 20, Volcano The Bear
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to email@example.com