Produced and recorded in 1965 during a time when Chicago soul was one of the most influential sounds in R&B.The Dontells entered the studio and cut two tracks that put that sound on full display. The session was led by producer Calvin Carter, world famous Arranger Johnny Pate-along with the cities top musicians. These tracks were never released and have only been heard by a few people until now. The A side “Move On Down the Line” grabs you from the first second the needle drops. A mid tempo love song with a trademark arrangement from Pate and a vocal melody and approach in the style of Chicago’s king of soul, Curtis Mayfield. “There Goes A Fool” is the B side and is a reminder why The Dontells were one of the best groups out of the Windy City. Another brilliant production with a top notch arrangement . Horns, strings, a swinging backbeat and that signature Chicago vocal sound lead by the sweet harmonies of Nate, Leroy, Manuel & Ralph. This is no doubt a 60’s soul classic in 2017!
After a strong debut in 2016, Durand Jones & The Indications are hitting the road this spring with a new 45 from their debut LP. The lead album cut, “Make A Change” is powerful message soul at its finest! Never more powerful and never more relevant! Meanwhile, the B-side is a cookin’ lowrider soul jam featuring the sweet falsetto of drummer Aaron Frazer. A two-sided burner.
Stones Throw’s Vex Ruffin and legendary Yo! MTV Raps host and visual artist Fab 5 Freddy have teamed up to create new track “The Balance.” Fab’s first musical project in 30 years since “Change the Beat,” the 12-inch includes original vocal, instrumental, and two remixes. Fab 5 Freddy on creating “The Balance”: “I liked the way this idea organically developed and I began to see my involvement as a sort of art performance piece. The track reminded me of cool dance records that downtown NY DJ’s played back then in the 80’s at places like The Mudd Club, The Garage, Area, Danceteria and Nells where I hung out so I put myself in that mindset when working on my lyrics for this song.”
Well over a year in the making, Tiger Lab Vinyl and Madhouse Production Studios teamed up to present Masahiro Ikumi's original score to to the classic 1997 psychological thriller on vinyl for the first time ever. Once again, Tiger Lab enlisted the impeccable work of Heba Kadry of Timeless Mastering NYC to remaster Ikumi's mesmerizing compositions. Not so different from the sounds of Brooklyn's own Sacred Bones or the Tri Angle Records catalog, Ikumi's score is an electronic tour de force filled with ambient layers, eerie vocal choirs, infectious rhythms, and ghostly melodies. A short but powerful listen (six tracks clocking in at 31 minutes), Perfect Blue will haunt your speakers for days.
We are very excited to announce that the award-winning video game development studio The Chinese Room and Black Screen Records have teamed up to release Jessica Curry’s incredible soundtrack to the indie hit and genre defining video game Dear Esther on limited edition 180g double vinyl just in time for the game’s 5th anniversary on February 14th, 2017. Dear Esther is the award-winning first-person exploration game that paved the way for The Chinese Room’s collaboration with Frictional Games on Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs and the BAFTAwinning Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. It’s a ghost story, told using first-person gaming technologies. Rather than traditional gameplay the focus here is on exploration, uncovering the mystery of the island, of who you are and why you are here. Fragments of story are randomly uncovered when exploring the various locations of the island, making every each journey a unique experience. Dear Esther features a stunning, specially commissioned soundtrack from composer Jessica Curry. Originally released on PC and Mac in 2012, Dear Esther was brought to PlayStation 4 & Xbox One with the Landmark Edition in 2016, which featured a directors’ commentary, remastered audio, added accessibility features and trophies / achievements.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to email@example.com