Soul Jazz Records is re-releasing their seminal retrospective on Arthur Russell who holds a unique place in the history of dance music. As an artist he had the admiration of everyone from Philip Glass to Todd Terry. As well as his solo work he also formed the seminal groups Dinosaur L and Loose Joints in the 1980s. With tracks such as "Go Bang" and "Is It All Over My Face?", Russell redefined dance music in the 1980s as both an intelligent and subversive form. At the center of the New York dance scene in the 1980s, Russell was co-founder of Sleeping Bag Records along with Will Socolov. As well as releasing Russell's own material, Sleeping Bag would release seminal music from Mantronix, Larry Levan, Patrick Adams, EPMD, Joyce Sims and Todd Terry amongst others. As a regular visitor at David Mancuso's Loft, and Nicky Siano's Gallery nightclubs and even Studio 54, Russell immersed himself in the New York dance scene whilst continuing to create avant-garde experimental music. These two elements in his life and music make him truly unique. Larry Levan, Walter Gibbons and Francois Kervorkian all played pivotal roles as remixers of Russell's work and feature on many of the tracks featured here. Arthur Russell died in 1992 from AIDS leaving behind an enormous body of work. This release features both the classic tracks of Arthur Russell such as "Go Bang," "Is It All Over My Face," "Wax The Van" etc alongside impossible-to-find collectors tracks such as "In The Light Of The Miracle" and the private-pressing only "Pop Your Funk." This is the first collected work of Arthur Russell, presented here as a super-loud triple-vinyl LP edition with detailed sleevenotes discussing the respected artist's rich life.
Soul Jazz Records’ new ‘Boombox’ features some of the many innovative underground first‐wave of rap records made in New York in the period 1979‐82, all released on small, independent, of ten family‐concern record companies, at a time when hip‐hop music still remained under the radar. This first exuberant wave of innocent, upbeat,‘party on the block’ rap records were the first totry and create the sounds heard in community centres, block parties and street jams that initially took place in the Bronx in the mid‐1970s. But where Flash, Kool Herc and Bambaataa were back‐spinning, mixing and scratching together now classic breakbeat records like The Incredible Bongo Band’s ‘Apache’ or Babe Ruth’s ‘The Mexican’, these first rap records were all made using live bands, often replaying then current disco tunes, whilst MCs rapped over the top, creating a unique sound that later became known derisively as ‘oldschool’. And while hip‐hop started in the Bronx, rap on vinyl began in Harlem where long‐time established rhythm and blues producer‐owned record companies such as Joe Robinson’s Enjoy Records, Paul Winley’s Winley Records, Delmar Donnel’s Delmar International and Jack ‘Fatman’ Taylor’s Rojac and Tayster were the first off the mark to realise the commercial potential of rap music‐releasing early ground‐breaking records that all quickly followed in the wake of the first rap record, The Sugarhill Gang’s ‘Rappers Delight’, a million‐selling worldwide hit. This collection celebrates these first old‐school rap records, bringing together rare, classic and obscure tracks released in the early days of rap.Deluxe double CD‐pack comes with slipcase, 40‐page outsize perfect‐bound booklet,extensive notes, exclusive photography and original label artwork. Triple heavy weight vinyl includes full artwork, text and notes as well as free download code.
© 2017 Fat Beats | 8920 Eton Ave. Canoga Park, CA 91304
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to email@example.com