Record Label: Hit+Run
As a multi-instrumentalist, producer, emcee & music educator, Thavius Beck is a man whose life revolves around audio and technology. With a focus on bass heavy rhythms, dark emotional melodies and twisted sample manipulation, Thavius has not only released numerous solo albums (under his own name, plus previous moniker Adlib), but he’s also collaborated with and remixed luminaries Saul Williams, Nine Inch Nails, The Mars Volta, Skylar Grey and Nas, to name a few.
A native of Minneapolis, Thavius Beck moved to Los Angeles at age 16 and quickly found a crew of like-minded beat makers & rappers who formed the underground hip-hop collective known as Global Phlowtations. As a main pillar of the nine man + one woman crew, he was responsible for producing, rhyming on and recording many of the songs that were released across three classic self-released GPAC albums in the late 90’s. Thavius released solo projects through various labels over his 20-year stay in LA, collaborated with fellow producer/emcee Subtitle (aka Giovanni Marks) to create the group “Labwaste”, and began touring extensively with Saul Williams as his ‘one-man band’, outfitted with an arsenal of modern electronic gadgetry.
Eventually his love of music and technology lead to Ableton Live, where Thavius became a certified trainer of in 2009. He quickly became a world-renowned advocate for Ableton Live education, and took a brief hiatus from releasing albums to run electronic music workshops and explore teaching. In 2016, he left the cozy confines of Los Angeles and relocated to Brooklyn, NY. Reinvigorated by the city, plus inspired by frequent European tours with Saul, both offered Thavius meditative hours spent in solitary at hotels, airports & on trains writing new material.
The result is an impassioned new self-produced project “Technol O.G.”, that finds Thavius expressing his true self as an artist & man. His much-anticipated 12 song album is a record full of raw & unfiltered truth revealed through his rhythmic vocal reflections and electronic production perfection. Released worldwide on Monday September 18th, 2017 on one-of-a-kind kaleidoscopic 12”” colored vinyl, housed in a variety of hand-screenprinted and collectible outer jackets featuring stunning art by Jon Ryan. Digital downloads include the bonus remix of lead single “Spectacular Vernacular” by Mono/Poly.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org