First time ever on vinyl, limited to 500 copies. Now, for the first time ever on vinyl, the soundtrack to Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece Psycho, scored by one of the greatest composers to ever grace the silver screen, Bernard Herrmann (Citizen Kane, Taxi Driver, Cape Fear, etc.) Herrmann began writing scores for Alfred Hitchcock in 1955, but the apex of this collaboration came undoubtedly with the scoring of 1960s Psycho, where Herrmann's amazing ability to set the mood has made the soundtrack to Psycho perhaps the most memorable in the history of cinema (who can recall the shower scene without recalling the sound of shrieking violins?). Do not miss your chance to own this classic on vinyl!" On 180 gram vinyl.
Doxy present a picture disc reissue of Bernard Herrmann's soundtrack for Vertigo, originally released in 1958. Herrmann wrote the bulk of the score for Vertigo, considered by many critics and by Herrmann himself to be his finest film score, in a little over a month. Hitchcock places Herrmann's background music in direct opposition to music that is played deliberately as part of the action of the film. While Herrmann's score represents the forces of destiny and the mysterious dream world inhabited by Madeleine, music that Midge plays on her radio and record player represents her world and the norms and strictures of conventional society. Herrmann scored the swirling harps and strings that imbue most of the pivotal action sequences in the film to mirror the vertigo that dogs the protagonist. Essential.
Etta James's debut album, originally released in 1961 on the Chess subsidiary Argo Records. The album's title-track and "All I Could Do Was Cry" (co-written by future Motown founder Berry Gordy) both went to number two on the R&B charts, while the album itself has gone down in history as one of the great classic albums of early R&B. Bonus tracks "My Heart Cries," "Spoonful," "It's a Crying Shame," and "If I Can't Have You" are taken from two 1960 singles featuring doo-wop idol Harvey Fuqua of The Moonglows (best known for their 1954 hit "Sincerely"). Pressed on 180-gram vinyl.
Sold Out - $23.99
Limited edition first press of 500 copies on white vinyl. Fumio Hayasaka first worked with Akira Kurosawa in 1948 when he composed the score for Drunken Angel. Many hold the partnership of Hayasaka and Kurosawa in the same esteem as that of Nino Rota and Federico Fellini; an incomparable team, with the whole greater than the sum of its parts. Hayasaka scored seven of Kurosawa's best films and died while scoring his eighth. Seven Samurai (1954) was his last complete Kurosawa score.
Doxy present a picture disc reissue of John Coltrane's Blue Train, originally released in 1957. Blue Train is Coltrane's third session as a leader and one of the most iconic jazz albums of all-time. Featuring Curtis Fuller, Lee Morgan, Paul Chambers, Kenny Drew, and Philly "Joe" Jones, this is an absolutely essential jazz album and the title track is one of the most celebrated in jazz history, maybe matched only in recognition by Miles Davis's "So What" or Dave Brubeck's "Take Five".
Pianist and singer Nina Simone defied categorization by blending classical, jazz and popular music into an unconventional and highly personal idiom: over four decades, she galvanized audiences with albums and performances replete with deep passion and keen attention to emotion. Fiercely honest, Simone was admired for her eccentricity and individualism. She was known for her spirited personality on and off the stage, which included flirting with audience members and voicing her opinions about social topics of the time. The legacy of Simone’s music and message can be heard not only in jazz but amongst the many pop artists who cite her influence. Several of Simone’s songs have become jazz standards, and her voice is even familiar to audiences who don't know her name through their frequent use in movie soundtracks and commercials.
Doxy present a picture disc reissue of Sun Ra & The Blues Project's Batman And Robin, originally released in 1966. This novelty album, released during the height of the Batman And Robin craze, was initially credited to the "The Sensational Guitars of Dan and Dale" and featured an album full of tracks based on the popular TV show like "The Batman Theme Song", "The Penguin Chase", and "The Batcave". The album is entirely instrumental, except for someone singing "Batmaaaan!" in the theme song. But the interesting thing about this album, and what makes it an absolute cult gem, are the musicians who are behind it all: basically a joint collaboration between Sun Ra's Arkestra and Danny Kalb's Blues Project (one of the first psychedelic rock bands as well as one of the world's first jam bands). "Dan and Dale" were actually blues guitarist Danny Kalb and Steve Katz (later of Blood, Sweat And Tears) on dueling guitars, while Sun Ra and Al Kooper take over organ duties (a Hammond B-3) and members of Ra's Arkestra play sax.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to email@example.com