Sold Out - $19.99
2000 reissue of Gang Starr's 1989 debut. Catch Premo and Guru back at the start on tracks like "Manifest," "Positivity," "Gotch U," "Cause and Effect" and "Jazz Music."
On their fifth album MOMENT OF TRUTH, Gang Starr solidifes their position in the hip-hop arena. Lyrically and musically, Guru and DJ Premier have always been head and shoulders above the rest, but with MOMENT OF TRUTH, the duo's experience is both obvious and rewarding. Since their debut in 1989, Gang Starr have remained true to themselves, and as a result, prove to be one of the most street-credible rap groups around. With Premier's amazingly creative production tactics and Guru providing lyrical education, Gang Starr can't lose. Premier's track record shows that any MC lucky enough to work with him automatically earns props, while Guru's monotone style forces listeners to pay close attention. See songs like "Above The Clouds" and "B.I. Vs. Friendship" to be schooled. No phony gimmicks, just raw straight-up hip-hop.
The Ownerz is the sixth and final studio album by the hip-hop duo Gang Starr, recorded two years before the duo broke up. It was well-received critically and boasts four singles, "Skills," "Rite Where U Stand," "Nice Girl, Wrong Place," and "Same Team, No Games." Continuing with the Respect The Classics campaign, UMe will be reissuing this classic album back on vinyl for the first time in over 10 years!
Released four years after its previous album, Hard to Earn, this album could be perceived as a comeback, with a newer, updated style of the group's already-established jazz-tinged hip-hop. The album is the group's most commercially successful album to date. The lead single, "You Know My Steez," became the duo's second Billboard Hot 100 appearnce in 1997. Continuing with it's Respect The Classics campaign, UMe will be reissuing this classic album back on vinyl for the first time in 15 years.
Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) will continue its Respect the Classics tribute to many of hip-hop’s finest with the 20th anniversary vinyl reissue of Hard To Earn from the seminal rap duo Gang Star featuring MC Guru and DJ/producer DJ Premier. Originally released in 1994 as the follow-up to 1992's Daily Operation, Hard To Earn was Gang Starr's fourth full-length and it found the duo stripping things down and offering more of a straight up hip-hop record full of raw beats and attitude. Includes the singles "Mass Appeal," "DWYCK" and "Code of the Streets" plus guest appearances by Group Home, Jeru The Damaja and Big Shug. “With Hard to Earn, one of the things that I was going through sonically was, it was right around the time that Guru started doing Jazzmatazz, and we kept getting categorized as ‘jazz rap.’ Which is why Guru did Jazzmatazz, because we wanted to protect Gang Starr from being categorized like that, because we felt like we were a hip-hop group from day one...Being that Guru was getting aggravated with us being labeled like that, I said, ‘I’m gonna strip this album down,’ just to show that I could use things other than jazz samples. We both wanted to show that anything I use is going to be a hip-hop beat. We said we were going to make it as raw as possible, and less musical, on purpose, just to show we’re good on any track, together." - DJ Premier
Daily Operation is a 1992 album by Gang Starr. The album represents the gritty sound of early 1990s Brooklyn hip-hop. Guru rhymes on a variety of subjects, from the hypocrisy of the government, pro-Black rights and anti-prejudice, to his intellectual depth on "2 Deep," to his penchant for smoking marijuana on "Take Two and Pass," to anger and sadness on "Take it Personal," to the opposite sex in "Ex Girl to the Next Girl." DJ Premier and Guru are credited as the producers of every track. The track "I'm the Man" also features the debuts of Lil' Dap from Group Home and Jeru the Damaja, two artists who gained instant underground credibility because of the exposure. Despite the album originally only being rewarded 3.5 mics in The Source, it was selected as one of The Source's 100 Best Hip Hop Albums in 1998.
Sold Out - $31.99
Step In the Arena is the second studio album by hip hop duo Gang Starr (DJ Premier and Guru), originally released on January 15, 1991.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org