Sold Out - $27.99
"If one is ever curious of the music that came out of the tough street punk scene of Philadelphia fifteen years ago, one could put on a Virus record. One seeking some insight to the way of living in the humble streets of Jamaica in the seventies, could put on a Maytals or a Marley record. It is difficult to give these records as much as a vague listen without feeling at least a hint of their lives in your presence. Similarly, if one seeks a record that will give them a somewhat surreal, yet accurate experience of the life in the modern age, one needs to look no further than Strange Journey.Ignition, an introductory track, is a thirty-second mission briefing, which commences the lyrical journey seeking to try and explore the complexities of the human mind and spirit of today’s world. The beat the drops for the first musical track of the LP, and who better to introduce such an ambitious and surreal lyrical journey than Del the Funky Homosapien? Del and Natti of CunninLynguists do well in setting the stage for the production in the track “Strange Universe”, and they do well in letting the listener know that the journey will in fact be very strange.The next couple of songs focus on contrasting aspects of urban life, with “In the City” describing the many dark aspects of city life over a spacy and mellow instrumental, while “South California” focuses on the more positive aspects, specifically the beautiful women of Southern California, on a beat similar in vibes to the former, with an added Beatles-esque feel.The following track “Drunk Dial” is a standout track in the album, a comedic portrayal of a situation that many of us are much too familiar with today, resulting from the combination of alcohol and the cell phone. Guided by Kno of CunninLynguists’ incredibly catchy chorus, the song will have you vibing out to the entire album.The next few tracks, “The Morning”, “Innerspace”, “Guide You Through the Shadows”, and “Castles” further explore the human soul through varied ways, with strong lyricism focusing on aspects such as sex, age, isolation, and guidance out of dark roads in life, and how all these things play out in and affect one’s life.“Kings” is the next track and stands out as what might be one of the strongest tracks on the record. The excellent lyrics are presented with excellent delivery, accompanied by a very strong hook by Sheisty Khrist and backed by a beat that manages to stay consistent in musical style, yet create a much larger feel in what might be the climax of the album.The pace of the record begins to slow down as the end of the record approaches. “Hot”, “The Format”, “Dying Breed”, and “Makes You Wanna Cry” provide a pleasurable listening experience with a more relaxing and smaller feel, assisted by lyrically focusing on the feelings of helplessness commonly present in today’s rapidly changing world, corrupted with violence, religious conflict, technology, etc. “Beyond the Sun” proceeds to add a bit of light to the dark theme of the previous tracks, and is a more hopeful and positive look at the world in which one has the privilege to live in.The power and the artistry of Strange Journey Volume Three is a breath of fresh air to not only the hip-hop community, but the music community in general. The album is a genuine piece of modern art, as it does an exceptional job in trying to make sense of the senseless and changing world around us, something that is universally strived for across genres and achieved by few. The music of the record are worthy of praise themselves, as one would be able to listen through an instrumental version of the album as easily as the original. Excellent work, and congratulations to the CunninLynguists for their great work!" (Victor Hernandez, Collective Lifestyle)
© 2017 Fat Beats | 8920 Eton Ave. Canoga Park, CA 91304
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org