Sold Out - $18.99
Following two acclaimed solo albums in the last four years, Hempstead, Long Island MC/producer Roc Marciano embarks on a new feat. Having almost exclusively showcasing his slick, gritty narratives over self-produced sparse, nostalgic beats, the former Flipmode Squad member and U.N. co-founder is opening his unique sound to some of his friends and respected peers for Marci Beaucoup. Since early 2011, Roc plugged away at what he calls, "An album that wasn't all about me, but more of a project that was about how other artists sounded on my beats." Those guests include Cormega, Freeway, Guilty Simpson, Boldy James, Knowledge The Pirate, longtime affiliate KA, as well as AG Da Coroner. The last is Marci's first signing as VP of A&R at Man Bites Dog Records, the same respected imprint responsible for the third album in Roc's solo franchise. Marciano hopes to gain recognition as the latest in a long line of championed MCs and beat-providers. "It's the music I grew up loving," he says of self-contained Hip-Hop. "Q-Tip, EPMD, Rakim, Ultramagnetic MCs-all of those artists, they weren't just rappers. They were involved in their sound and production. So I'm just pretty much following tradition." With his cold accounts of "Pimpstead," and a vividly-described metropolitan underbelly, Roc's dusty sources, film dialogue, and subdued basslines sound made for each other. However, after two albums that topped year-end lists, and prompted a reported debate between Jay Z and The Roots' ?uestlove over which was better, Roc says he has even more to offer in number three. "Now, when I listen to stuff that I've done a while back, I want to flip it a whole different way. Lately, I feel like I have no style: I do what I have to do. Back in the days, I stuck to a four-bar loop. Now, I don't have any rules." The unconventional approach comes to life on Marci Beaucoup, through Roc's personal highlights, including "Squeeze" with Random Axe's Guilty Simpson, and longtime collaborator, Brownsville's KA. In honing his craft, Roc is deliberately hands-off with artists. "I don't come to people with concepts, unless we have to follow the guidelines of the track," he admits. "If I'm workin' with somebody, I want them to do what they feel. I don't want to govern a project too heavily. I'd rather just everybody do what they naturally do." Additionally, the Los Angeles-based New Yorker also only makes music when he's compelled. "The only time I really listen to music is when I'm about to do some creating," he says, referring to music beyond the N.W.A., Max B, and Erick Sermon in his current car stash. "That's when I start doing my digging. I did some record shopping today. I'll listen to the records tomorrow, or whenever I feel. I make the beats as I get the samples. I gather samples and push 'em aside to track the record." With the third LP, Roc looks forward to offering an array of videos. "It's important for people to see records come to life. I'm trying to do more of that," said Roc, who hopes this project awakens more of his peers in addition to the growing fan-base. "People can now see how I do albums, and become more comfortable with it. Hopefully, more artists I respect can ask me to produce." In his trademark dry nature, the double-threat looks ahead and says, "I don't only just wanna be rappin'."
In between skate parks and street corners is where you will find the music of Vast Aire. A NYC native whose influences range from Comic Books, Nintendo Games, Japanese Anime and the Metaphysical Sciences. An artist who has been influenced by a variety of music and has affected a new generation of musicians. Cannibal Ox’s “Cold Vein” is considered a modern classic album not just in Hip Hop but in all musical genres. Vast Aire, who was responsible for much of the creation and development of that album, has now made another classic. “Cold Vein” which was released in 2001, is now followed up by “OX 2010: a street odyssey”. The feel is both spacey and epic and explores a new style for Vast Aire called “Simplex” which is simple ideas but explored in a complex manner. Much like the Kubrick masterpiece about the darker side of mankind, Vast Aire explores the darker side of himself. The writing for this record pushes Vast Aire into new territories, with deeper more profound ideas and codes to keep listeners and critics decyphering. It is rare for an artist to follow up to a classic album a decade later. With “OX 2010,” Vast Aire certainly has returned.
© 2017 Fat Beats | 8920 Eton Ave. Canoga Park, CA 91304
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to email@example.com