Veteran underground hip-hop producer from New Jersey, P-Original, best known for his work with El Da Sensei (of The Artifacts), Beneficence, Pacewon, and Dr. Becket drops a brand new LP of blazing instrumentals. Earthy, warm beats from the MPC and classic SP1200, emblematic of the award winning cover design by illustrator Brad Yeo featured in Creative Arts CA that lean on the Jazz and Soul side. A beautiful pressing on 180 gram vinyl limited to a small run of 300 copies.
Alfred Darlington, better known as Daedelus, is an influential Los Angeles producer and cornerstone of the electronic & beat music scenes both locally and internationally. Over the last 15 years, he has released a number of full-lengths, EPs and remixes on labels like Ninja Tune, Anticon, and most recently Brainfeeder, namely the collaborative Kneebody Kneedelus release last year. With this LP coming out on his own label, Daedelus now wields the power to wind through the maze on his terms, sharing music and further developing the Magical Properties platform. There will also be a very special limited edition cassette pressing of ‘Labyrinths’ in collaboration with fellow Los Angeles label Dome of Doom. The first press is limited to 300 copies. Twisting, complex, and rhizomatic - Daedelus unfurls a maze of genre on Labyrinths, juxtaposing disparate influences while maintaining an underlying love and appreciation for all styles.
“I like to tap into people’s imaginations. When I spit, I try to make movies with my words…” Armed with his unique delivery, gruff voice, and sharp wit, U.G. is well-equipped to do just as he wishes when he hits the booth. Whether on his own or earning critical acclaim as one-half of the Cella Dwellas, the Brooklyn rapper has been a giant amongst the NYC rap underground since ’94. And on Portals, his long anticipated solo debut, he proves exactly why so many look his way for music that’s incredibly fresh, and completely his own. Portals is a 14-track journey into just what U.G. set out to accomplish—a movie-like atmosphere anchored by well complemented production (entirely from IDE) and extraordinary rapping. That much was evident on lead single, “The Mystic,” which is equally eccentric in its wordplay and technical displays as U.G. flows over the creeping instrumental. Elsewhere, the BK spitter taps into his cinematic vision with joints like the harrowing “Might & Magic,” and the super-grimy, “Ready for War.” Interestingly enough, U.G. credits his movie-like approach with what makes his music so appealing to his fans. “That inner-kid comes out of them when they hear that stuff,” he says. “We (U.G. and IDE) are both visual artists as far as our approach to sound is concerned.” Beyond the concept, the rapper and producer just love Hip-Hop culture and wanted to represent it right. They may be taking a Boom bap excursion into another dimension—and likely one in a distant galaxy—on Portals, but this is pure, raw, unadulterated Hip-Hop to the bone gristle. Portals is set to drop Oct 21st via Creative Juices Music, and will be available on Compact Disc as well all major digital retailers and streaming platforms. Its features include Mista Sinista, DJ White Shadow, Celph Titled, Life Long, and Necro.
Jay Dee, aka J Dilla, emerged as a Hip Hop producer to be reckoned with in 1995 when his name was attached to the first single from The Pharcyde's eagerly anticipated sophomore album "Labcabincalifornia". Drop the needle on his first Pharcyde production "Runnin" and you have the launch point of a producer's career that mesmerized, titillated and expanded the domes of Hip Hop fans for the next decade. "Jay Deelicious: Originals, Remixes & Rarities" documents Jay Dilla's early production on Delicious Vinyl. Working closely with The Pharcyde and Michael "Mike Floss" Ross, (Delicious Vinyl's founder), Jay Dee was instrumental in keeping The Pharcyde's second album as ear poppin' and bugged as their maiden classic "Bizarre Ride To The Pharcyde", stepping up big time after the group parted ways with "Bizarre" producer J-Swift. In addition to original productions and remixes for "Labcabin", Jay Dee skillfully worked with the label on incredible mixes for the Brand New Heavies, as well as unreleased remixes for former BNH singer, N'Dea Davenport. From the jazzed out Rhodes syncopation of "Sometimes" featuring Q-Tip, to the crazy cutting up of "Got To Give It Up" for "Saturday Night" featuring Mos Def, Jay Dee shows there's no tempo he can't freak on some otherworldly jazzed up funk tip. So put on your head phones and take a trip into the early work of a Hip Hop master. Umm Umm JayDEElicous! In respect to Dilla's legacy, all proceeds from the sale of this release will go to Maureen (Ma Dukes) Yancy.
Long Beach serial chiller Ahwlee is a beat vet who delivers smooth buttery samples with a nostalgic vibe. 1991 is a cult classic cassette now reissued for the first time. These tracks are dusty, mellow and easy-going. Don’t mistake mellow for boring, however, because Ahwlee’s production is nuanced and intricate underneath the minimalist overtones. There’s jazzed-up Rhodes all over the place, and the percussion work masterfully includes a ton of negative space in between perfectly chopped breaks. They’ll get your head nodding.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to email@example.com