Fresh off the presses! Previously available exclusively at the Fat Beats' L.A. Beat Swap booth, Fat Beats tote bags are available for purchase online for a limited time only. Individually screenprinted onto high-grade canvas tote bags, they're perfect for carrying records, headphones or just repping your favorite record store. Get 'em while they're hot!
A Tribe Called QuestWax Poetics Issue 65 is going back to our roots with 21 pages dedicated to A Tribe Called Quest’s debut album, People’s Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm, including an oral history with original founding members Q-Tip, Phife Dawg (in his final interview), Ali Shaheed Muhammad, and Jarobi, as well as “fifth member” and iconic engineer Bob Power! Rare and classic photos by Ernie Paniccioli and Janette Beckman, as well as pics from the personal collection of Ali Shaheed Muhammad. David BowieBack cover feature explores David Bowie’s time in Philly, recording David Live and much of his R&B masterpiece, Young Americans—at the iconic Sigma Sound Studios used by Gamble & Huff and countless Philly soul acts. The in-depth, 20-page story is told with the help of producer Tony Visconti; pianist Mike Garson; model, muse, and singer Ava Cherry; singer Robin Clark, and her husband, guitarist and collaborator Carlos Alomar. Rare photos of Bowie at Sigma by photographer Dagmar! We also offer a four-page “David in Philly” timeline and a five-page interview with Bowie photographer Steve Schapiro. Northern SoulIn-depth history of England's soul club scene with excellent photos documenting the DJs and dancers. Also: Organist and “Why Can’t We Live Together” songwriter Timmy Thomas; bassist and jazz-futurist Esperanza Spalding; singer/rapper Anderson .Paak; singer Dornik; and Hawaiian music blog and label Aloha Got Soul.
The Beat Machine Coloring Book is a unique Coloring Book featuring a collection of over 30 inspired by Vintage Samplers, Drum Machines, and other Tools that shaped modern music. In addition to the coloring pages, the book also features historical information including the release year of each beat machine plus a brief history of the art of sampling.
Slice Of Spice is proud to have collaborated with Ed Piskor and Fantagraphics for Issue #12 of the award winning comic, Hip Hop Family Tree. Each issue comes with a free playable flexi-postcard featuring the track, “Hip Hop Family Tree Pt.1”, produced by Jorun Bombay. There is also a very special limited edition front cover variant of Issue #12, featuring an exclusive Biggie Smalls illustration, not available in your local comic book store.
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to email@example.com