One of the most powerful Disco Cuts in the P&P Affiliate “Land of Hits” Label, New York’s Movin’ is faithful to the name. A seven-plus minute Disco Gem of percussive breakdowns, a solid bass groove, classic strings, and enough guitar licks to make Nile Rodgers a little jealous. Released in 1981, Ahzz was a studio project by Osborne Hunter and Steve Boston who's better known for his work with Kenny Lehman on Roundtree and Lemon. Despite the Backlash of Comiskey Park’s Disco Demolition in 1979 and the commercialization of Disco, it was clear New York City was Still Movin’ in '81. Underground hits like these were just undeniable. Like a lot of the titles on Peter Brown’s labels, today New York’ Movin’ is a rare and highly sought after record. A holy grail for many. Go Ahead, check Discogs ($130?!?) then thank the Disco Gods for this re-issue. Let’s Keep on Movin’.
Back in the day a very young Clyde Alexander went into the studio with Gary Davis and Sanction at the behest of Mr. Peter Brown. The cut they laid down that day has been sought after and filling dance floors ever since. Gary Davis and his neighbor Truck constructed what many believe to be the ultimate hook in "Gotta Get Your Love". Gary's lavish yet simple arrangement and Trucks lyrics are backed with one of the most solid bass lines you'll ever hear over a beat so steady it's like bedrock. This record is so tight it's hard to believe every player at this session was in their teens when this was laid down on tape. That is with the exception of Gary Davis who was the elder statesman of this outing at the advanced age of 24. Give this one a spin and you'll understand how Gary and his crew from Camden made history that afternoon in '79.
Sold Out - $14.99
There is no doubt Peter Brown’s P&P is one hell of an eclectic label. Enter Jesse Gould’s Powerful protest song ‘Out of Work’. A song that could have easily fit better at the Harlem Cultural Festival in the summer of ’69 than at a Disco in ’77. A regular at David Mancuso’s Loft, this fast-paced Funk Jam Borderlines Disco. However more Sly Stone than Disco Inferno, the realities of Harlem were all here on display. Produced and arranged by Billy Nichols, ‘Out of Work’ showcases the qualities that made him famous - Funky Rhythms rooted from his time at Motown, Big Strings and special attention to the Drum Section. Another incredibly rare record, another incredible opportunity to own what the Disco Black Market has priced for more than a Day’s Work minimum wage.
Sold Out - $14.99
This monster Underground Disco classic was produced by the legendary Patrick Adams and it’s considered to be one of his best and rarest pressings. Released in 1977 on P&P Records, “Dance Dance Dance” was ahead of its time laying ground for the signature sound he’d soon to be known for on productions for the likes of Inner Life, Loleatta Holloway, Bumblebee Unlimited, and Musique. This Classic release combines a smooth blend of Latin rhythms, an infectious bass line and Arp keyboards that create a dubbed out cosmic vibe, while Marta Acuna’s dreamy vocals glide in and out. This is the perfect tune to close out an evening of hot summer dancing, a NYC Disco Classic. This Highly sought after and extremely rare 12” has seen other lives as well, heavily sampled in Underground House tracks like Alex Neri’s “Planet Funk” and covered by Joey Negro and his Sunburst Band. “Absolute disco classic right here… out on P&P back in 1977. One of our favorites…a record everyone needs to hear.” - Bicep
© 2017 Fat Beats | 8920 Eton Ave. Canoga Park, CA 91304
If you have questions regarding your order please visit our Order Status page before contacting us.
If it's urgent don't hesitate to give us a ring.
Business hours are Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM PST.
Call Us Toll Free: (888) 377-3175
To reach us by email use the form below:
Joseph Abajian (DJ Jab) founded Fat Beats in 1994 with nothing more than a shoestring budget and an earnest obsession with the music, the culture, and the brotherhood of New York’s burgeoning rap scene. What began as a simple vinyl shop in Manhattan’s Lower East Side quickly became an integral hub for artists, both aspiring and established, to convene and collaborate on new projects. Joseph’s timing couldn’t have been more impeccable. When the 90’s cultural zeitgeist – and, in turn, the music industry establishment – chose hip-hop as its new arbiter of cool.
International tourists and touring artists alike flocked to Fat Beats for rare vinyl, kindred spirits, and exclusive in-store performances from Jay Z, Eminem, Gang Starr, Outkast, Slum Village, Mos Def, and more. One thing was clear: the Fat Beats phenomenon could no longer be contained in a single basement shop.
In the late nineties, Abajian proceeded to open new stores in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. He further expanded the company’s profile to include global distribution and record label branches. Distribution has since proven to be the company’s strongest and most enduring enterprise. Today Fat Beats Distribution stands poised as one of the country’s pre-eminent distributors of vinyl & specialty item records: a proud survivor in an industry now famous for its mortality rate. Despite market fluctuations, technology innovations, and stylistic revolutions, Fat Beats has remained steadfast in its commitment to the timeless vinyl format and to the loyal community who keeps it spinning.
Important information when ordering with Fatbeats.com...
• Online orders are processed within 1-2 business days.
• If you are confused or need to know about an order placed on the site you can contact us
• Order processing time is separate from shipping time requested.
• International orders and orders that require additional credit verification can take longer to process. Please be available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time.
•We try and offer as many upcoming projects available for pre-order when the releases have moved into production. However, due to the nature of manufacturing and production, pre-order dates may change. If your pre-ordered items are holding your package from arriving please email us with a request to ship the in-stock items and pre-orders when they become available.
•If your order contains pre-order items we will hold the package until all titles are available to ship. Please specify in the comments section of the checkout if you would like to: a) hold your entire order until it can be entirely fulfilled or, b) have the in-stock items shipped immediately and the pre-ordered items ship when available. Please note that option B may require additional shipping charges as multiple packages will be shipped.
• Our stock rapidly changes and we try and set in place a system that avoids purchasing items that become out of stock. However, if a product ordered is out of stock, we will reach out and give you the chance to change or cancel your order. If you choose to cancel, you will be refunded in full.
• IMPORTANT: If the address or phone number supplied conflicts with other information provided, i.e. billing information versus shipping information, we may need to contact you to verify your purchase. Please be available to verify or write an explanation in the notes section during checkout explaining the conflicting information.
•Please make sure you give us your correct billing address and your correct billing phone number. Again, it is highly important that you are available at the provided number or email submitted to speed up verification time enabling us to avoid fraudulent purchases.
• All sales are final. However, if the item ordered is different from the item you receive, please contact us and we can arrange to get you the desired product.
• We are committed to protecting your privacy. There is an opt-in policy to receive marketing and other e-blasts about future products available as well as deals and coupons. If you do not wish to receive these emails you can opt out by simply removing the check from the marketing box below upon check out. We will never sell your email or personal information.
• Your payment and personal information is always safe. Our SSL (secure server software) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read over the internet.
Fat Beats offers internship opportunities. You must be enrolled in college and reside in the Los Angeles area to be eligible for our programs. If you meet these requirements, please paste your cover letter below and we will contact you if there are open positions available.
We are currently offering an internship program that offers an educational experience in all facets of our distribution operation. The intern would have the ability to assist in each of the following departments:
Online Retail / Marketing
Shipping & Receiving
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university that offers an internship program for academic credit
- Knowledge and passion in independent music and culture; with a specific interest in the artists/releases that Fat Beats supports
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Positive attitude - no task should be considered too small
- Must be located in the greater Los Angeles area
Resumes/Cover Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org